Get the Legal Help you Need in Tri-Cities, WA

Frequently Asked Questions (Legal FAQ)

Which types of personal injury cases do you handle?

Car, trucking, motorcycle accidents, and falls. 

If I caused a car accident, what should I do?

First, check on the other driver. Second, take photos. After getting contact and insurance information from the other driver, contact your insurance company. Your insurance company will then explain how the claim will be handled. If you are sued for an accident you caused, your insurance company will likely hire an attorney to represent you. 

Should I contact my insurance company if I've been in an accident?

Yes. Call your insurance carrier and file a claim as quickly as possible after an accident. 

How long does it take to resolve a case?

It depends on the type of case and its complexity. I suggest planning on 18 months for most cases, but COVID has slowed down everything, including how long it may take to resolve a case. 

What is the difference between legal fees and legal costs?

Legal fees are what your attorney charges to represent someone in a legal dispute. Legal fees can be based on an hourly rate or a percentage of the recovery.  An attorney should present you with a written contract explaining legal fees. 

Legal costs are costs paid to third parties, such as the court clerk to file your lawsuit, expert witness fees, jury trial fees, court reporter fees, and the cost of mediation/arbitration, etc.  The client is typically responsible for paying legal costs upfront or at the conclusion of the case.  Legal costs should be clearly stated in any contract with an attorney. 

Will my case go to trial?

Unlikely. The overwhelming majority of cases settle before reaching trial. In 2018, the American Bar Association reported that over 90% of civil cases settle before trial. 

Can my initial consultation be done on the telephone or virtually?

Yes. We can talk on the phone or meet virtually using Zoom, FaceTime, Skype, WhatsApp, or Google Duo. 

How much time do I have to file a lawsuit if I was injured in an accident?

Under Washington law, you have three years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit for your injuries. 

How much time do I have to file a lawsuit for breach of a contract?

It depends on whether the contract was verbal or written. You have three years from the date of breach to file a lawsuit for breach of a verbal  contract. You have six years from the date of breach to file a lawsuit for breach of a written contract. 

How much time do I have to file a lawsuit for a construction or design defect?

The answer to this question is quite technical. You have no more than six years, but you should consult an experienced construction litigation attorney for guidance.   

What should I bring to an initial consultation?

If you are coming to discuss a personal injury matter, I would like to see a copy of your insurance policy, scene and accident photos, medical records, medical bills, property damage estimates, police reports, and letters to insurance claims agents. I would also like copies of any text messages and e-mails you sent or received to anyone about the accident.  If you are coming to discuss a business dispute or construction defect matter, I would like to see a copy of all contracts, all change orders, any photos, inspection reports, and correspondence you sent or received with anyone about the dispute.   

What is the difference between an attorney and a lawyer?

There is no difference. The terms are used interchangeably.  Attorneys are also referred to as legal counselors.  

Still have a question?

If you cannot find your question in my legal FAQ, you can always contact me directly!

(509) 282-2456

I'm always happy to help.

Contact Me Online

The best way to get answers faster.